3. 1 dried bay leaf
4. 4 green cardamom
5. 2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
6. 3 cloves and 5 black peppercorns
7. 3 medium sized red/yellow onions, finely chopped. I used yellow onions.
8. 3 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
9. 2 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
10. 3 green chillies (2 chillies, finely chopped + 1 slit green chilli(for garnish,you can add more or less according to your taste)
●You can also make a fine paste of the garlic ginger and green chillies and keep it on hand in the fridge like I do.●
11. ½ tsp turmeric powder
12. 2 tsp red chilli powder (adjust according to your liking)
13. 1 tsp garam masala
14. 2 tsp cumin/coriander powder
15. 1/2 tsp asafoetida
16. Salt to taste
17. 2 pounds ground chicken/turkey/lamb mince. I’ve made it with 93% lean ground turkey this time but you can use any meat you choose,it’s especially delicious with chicken!.
18. 3 tomatoes, freshly pureed
19. Juice of ½ lemon
20.1 cup mattar(green peas fresh or frozen)
21. Finely Chopped Coriander leaves for garnish.
1. Heat oil and 1 tbsp butter or ghee in a kadhai or deep pan; warm lightly and add bay leaf, green cardamom, cloves,peppercorns and cumin seeds. Cook for a few seconds till the aroma is released and cumin seeds sputter a bit.
2. Add the chopped onions and sauté on medium heat for 2 minutes. Next, add the garlic, ginger and green chillies(I always keep a paste of ginger,garlic and green chillies on hand at all times) continue to sauté till the onions have browned well.
3. Then add mattar(green peas)and saute for a minute.
4. Deglaze the pan with 1-2 tbsp water and add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin/coriander powder, asafoetida and salt. Saute on low heat for 2-3 minutes be super careful as we do not want to burn the spices.
5. Add the ground meat mince, in this case turkey and sauté on high heat for 2 minutes, mixing well to combine with the onions and spices.
6. Once the mince has started to brown, add the freshly pureed tomatoes, a pinch of sugar and season with salt if necessary.
7. Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.
8. Add one cup water and continue to cook covered for another 20 minutes or till the gravy comes together. If you think the gravy is too watery, open the lid and cook on high till the gravy thickens and some of the water evaporates .
9. Garnish with coriander leaves, slit green chilli and butter.
10. Serve hot with either naan,roti,pav or basmati rice.